Subscription Services: Subscribe | Change | Unsubscribe | RSS
Advertising Media Kit: Introduction | Stats/Demographics | Rates | Testimonial | Contact
Miscellaneous: Reference Desk | Sitemap
Related Reading
Wal-Mart Sued Over Boy's Dive Stick Impalement; 'He Landed On It and It Went Into His...'
email to a friend email print this print      Bookmark and Share   RSS 2.0 feed

TAMPA, Florida -- Lawyers representing a Bay area child are in a St. Petersburg courthouse…..taking on corporate giant Wal-Mart, and a product supplier seeking millions in damages.

The case centers around swimming pool toys known as dive sticks, supplied to Wal-Mart in the 1990's by a Clearwater based Florida Pool.

When Marcus Zunner was just three, he was hospitalized with a severe accident from a divestick.

"He slid into the pool on the slide and he landed on it and it went into his rectum," said Kimberly Zunner, Marcus' mother.

"He suffered a rectal impalement of about an inch and a half. And he had open abdominal surgery, with a cholostomy," said Justin Johnson, Marcus' attorney.

WalMart and Florida Pool, are expected to argue the dive sticks were safe, but that the family misused them, by allowing the child to jump on the sticks in a shallow, inflatable kiddie pool.

The stick's are weighted to stand perpendicular to the bottom of the pool, and when they are three to seven feet underwater, kids often dive after them in order.

But in shallow water, they may stand just inches below the surface which was apparently what happened when Marcus jumped in.

In 1999, the Consumer Product Safety Commission ordered Florida Pool to recall 9,000,000 dive sticks.

The company responded in a news release.

Florida Pool, 1999 news release: "Dive sticks are fun and enjoyable when used properly but are not to be used in shallow water." That recall came after six known injuries were reported to the CPSC, and one year before Marcus' Zunner was hurt landing on a dive stick.

"It subsequently was banned as a hazardous product," said Justin Johnson, Marcus Zummer's attorney.

Those close to Marcus worry he will need a lifetime of medical care and multiple surgeries as a result of the dive stick accident at a young age.

Marcus Zunner is now nine, and according to his lawyer, is doing as well as can be expected.

His lawyer says Marcus will be here at points during the trial, but is not expected to testify.

Views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of UnderwaterTimes.com, its staff or its advertisers.

Reader Comments

4 people have commented so far. cloud add your comment

It's very unfortunate but I think it is a freak accident. The maker nor Walmart are responsiable for what happened.
   comment# 1   - Brian M · Hudson, Fl · Oct 17, 2006 @ 6:20am

a close Darwin award for this bunch of morons
   comment# 2   - bluelemon · wherever · Feb 13, 2008 @ 2:40am

Walmart is sooo not responsible for what happened, sorry, its sad but true.
   comment# 3   - Kiwi McLovin · Uhm..oh you know that one place in Michigan · May 13, 2008 @ 9:43am

It's sad that the young boy was injured, but the parents not walmart are at fault, i think the lawyer is wasting every ones time trying to make a fast buck, and i do not think any jury would rule in favor of the boy.
   comment# 4   - ronnie f · mckinney, tx · Jun 9, 2011 @ 10:01am
Add your comment


characters left

*required field.
Note: Comments are posted if they are not abusive and are compliant with our Terms and Conditions. Comments with foul language will be deleted without exception.

   


bottom_left
bottom_right
Privacy Policy     © Copyright 2014 UnderwaterTimes.com. All rights reserved